Belly Acres Farm

Belly Acres Farm

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Drugs, Preachers and Denominations

One thing that stands out in my first 18 years of life was all the drugging.  Week nights, weekends, it didn't matter I was drug to Church, I was drug to baptizings at the creek,  then singings on Saturday night and up early and back to our Church on Sunday morning.   Seemed like a split second and I was drug to Sunday night service.   Seemed like a revival was always somewhere close,  even tent revivals that we knew nobody, but I was drug there by a family that saw the importance in it.

I never attended nor understood why/what denominations was all about.  Our little Church was non-denomination and till this day,  I still don't know nor need to know.  All I need to know about that word is that its the value of a coin or a bill.  In my non-denominational little brain, Heaven isn't going to have subdivisions for all that stuff.  It's all about celebrating at the feet of Jesus and oh the praising that will go on someday.

I never thought I paid much attention during Church as I was drug around but I realize seeds were sown and I do remember more than I thought.   I remember everyone was called either Brother/Sister at Church.  I remember everyone sat down and stayed down,  we got the stink eye if we ever needed to go to the bathroom.  The Church was God's House and treated as such.  There was no chit-chatting when the preacher was up there either,  you would get embarrassed because he would call you out, no matter if you were a kid or old.  I am sure glad of that now because I did learn more than one would think a 10 year old would.

We didn't have Children's Church and for this I am thankful.  We learned early how to behave in big Church because we certainly didn't want to go outside.  I have my opinion on that but will keep it to myself,  I do believe nursery's for toddlers is good but then....... back to my story,  Oh oh oh, how straight I would sit when the Spirit would move and that Preacher would start walking the aisles for clapping his hands.  I remember Brother Joe Taff,  dad to Russ Taff,  Imma telling you,   I never seen someone turn as red when he was giving us the gospel.  

Brother Ollie was the preacher when I was little and he would point and say ya'll better listen to what the Lord's gave me.   He said nonsense to me,  like "there is coming a day soon when the Bible says "Good will become bad,  dark will become light and bitter will become sweet".    I felt like a tiny Einstein because I maybe on only 7 years old but I new the difference between good and bad, light and dark and sure knew what was bitter......that persimmon tree across the road.

I remember everyone Amen'ing him and me being so confused.   Then as a teen,  Brother Glen become our preacher,  oh he was a good one.   Man,  not only could he Preach but he could sing too.   And there was no scripted Church service, we might have alter call in the middle of a song.   That was how the Spirit lead our Church then and that is how the Church I attend now is done. "Thank you Jesus"  Every once in a while, Brother Glen would preach that same silly thing about how someday soon,  that some would call evil good and good evil and all that stuff.  Again,  I was a teenager so far from perfect but I knew good from evil.  why did these men keep preaching that stuff?

Now here I am running 55 years old and remembering their sermons and thinking WOW,  they are all gone on to receive their eternal rewards yet their words,  I see becoming true.   I would still rather think they were just being a little crazy because everyone knows good from evil but I can't say that now.   If you want to study more on what I remember them preaching,  2 Timothy 3 and Isaiah 5.



Not sure why I blogged this, but parents take your kids to Church and I mean big Church,  they might seem  like they aren't getting it, but they are retaining it and will need it someday.  Bible says so in Proverbs 22:6.   Study the scriptures and be on your toes about the end times and don't get yourself caught up in letting the world teach you well ..... its really not that bad.  Let God and his Holy Word tell you what is good and evil, do not conform to the patterns of this world.

I want you to know I am not perfect,  no one is,   I make so many mistakes but I am trying and sometimes I fail but God knows my heart.  I am trying to grow closer to Him daily so that he can use me for His Will, not mine.   God bless all who read this.




No comments:

Post a Comment